Wednesday 15 August 2018

Ikigai - what's yours?

This is a little gem of a book! 

On the Japanese island of Okinawa people live longer and have fewer diseases than anywhere else in the world. Longevity studies strongly suggest that these 'super centenarians' have a few significant things in common. The famously healthy Japanese diet and daily practice of gentle exercise, mostly tai chi and yoga, throughout life play an important part. A strong sense of community and active involvement in it, combined with a clear awareness of purpose, or ikigai, are also identified as significant factors that these Okinawans have in common.

Medical studies show that:
  • Not only do these people live much longer than the rest of the world's population but they also have fewer chronic illnesses such as cancer and heart disease, The incidence of dementia is also well below the global average.
  • Many of these super centenarians enjoy enviable levels of energy and vitality compared to elderly people elsewhere in the world.
  • Their blood tests show they have fewer free radicals, which are  responsible for cellular ageing. Evidence suggest that this is due to drinking tea, particularly green tea, and eating until their  stomachs are only 80% full. 
  • The Japanese belief that everyone has an ikigai, literally meaning a reason to jump out of bed each morning, also plays a key role in their health and longevity.
Fascinating and inspiring, this book identifies simple principles we can all use to live long, meaningful and contented lives. Science-based studies are beautifully woven into straight-talking conversations with real people sharing their real life experience.

I really identify with this idea of ikigai and am grateful that I found mine when in my 20s, albeit through struggling greatly with life and my mental health. My ikigai became my career and a life-long passion which still gets me out of bed in the morning even though I 'retired' years ago. My ikigai turned out to be making a positive difference to those struggling with their own mental health, in my career as a counsellor, life coach, trainer and educational adviser on mental health support for students and, in my private life, as a mother, friend, neighbour. I may not earn my living that way anymore but, like the elder Okinawans, I live out my ikigai every day, by contributing whenever I can, making a difference, often in very small ways, as a volunteer, a friend, a neighbour. And I still do a bit of life coaching too. I loved my work so much I always said I would do it even if I wasn't paid - so now I do! What I know, from personal experience and from a career in mental health and well-being, is that both our mental and physical health depend on it! And this book demonstrates that with scientific evidence to back it up.

This little book has given me information and inspiration to continue to stay active despite being retired from payed work; to remain actively engaged with family, friends and in my community for as long as I can; to pursue my purpose, my ikigai, even as the years knotch up; to cherish and continue to take the best care I can of my mental and physical health. In fact, the evidence is that doing each of these things will help me to live a long, healthy and contented life. 


If you haven't found it already, find what you love, what gives you satisfaction and pleasure, what fills you with joy and gets you out of bed every day, and do that! Whether it be some form of volunteering, gardening, being out in nature, painting or creating something with your hands, contributing in some way to your community, being a good neighbour - the possibilities are endless.
Its never too late to live your purpose! 

And remember, keep on dancing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment