Thursday 11 April 2019

Spring skies and black holes.

The mist was clinging to the bottom of the valley as I drank my first coffee this morning...... 

but there was not a cloud in the clear blue sky and the sun was shining, albeit weakly, promising a gorgeous Spring day here at Canal View Cottage. 

And my daffs are fully out now so the view through my window is lovely. 
A coffee or two later and a few puffy little white clouds have appeared but the sun is still shining so I'll be off out for a walk soon. 

And while I've been looking at this Spring-morning sky, the big news today is of black holes! 
And this is the first ever picture of one! 

Apparently it's the size of 6.5 billion suns and is, or was, 50 million light years away which means it no longer exists! This is how it looked 50 million light years ago! Whaaaaat???? 🤔 
How mind-boggling is that!!! 😲🙃

It's beyond my comprehension that's for sure......... but not so for this brilliant young woman who conceived of the possibility and then worked for 6 years to develop a computer algorithm to make it a reality! A metaphor for life if ever there was one! Conceive of a possibility and then bring all of your knowledge, skills and experience to make it happen. 


I'm always proud to be a woman and especially so today. When I fear for the future of the planet I remember that there are brilliant young people out there who can achieve things that are literally beyond my comprehension! All will be well. 

And meanwhile I'll be staying positive and keep dancing with life! 





No comments:

Post a Comment