Monday 3 September 2018

Let's talk organ donation

This week is Organ Donation Week and everybody is talking about it again which is important and great! But the fact is that talking about it isn't enough - we need to do something about it!!  The sad fact is that there are currently 6,133 people on the list waiting for organ donation and there are simply not enough of us registering to be donors. And those of us who do register don't seem to be making our nearest and dearest aware of our wishes - which sadly means that, when the worst happens, our next-of-kin often refuse to give their permission for our organs to be used. And so an opportunity to save a life is missed. In 2017, 411 people, who could have been saved, sadly died while waiting for a donor to be found. The NHS has said that, on average, 3 people die every day in need of an organ transplant. What if you needed the transplant? Or one of your family? Or a close friend? Wouldn't we all hope that a donor could be found, and in time?

I understand that not everyone wants to donate their organs and that is absolutely fine. However, research has indicated that most of us, about 90%, are in favour of organ transplantation - but only a fraction of those people have actually registered, which is such a shame. Joining the Donor Register is very easy, you can choose which organs you want to donate and there is no upper age limit for donors - so us oldies can potentially still make a difference by saving someone else's life as ours comes to an end. You can find out more and register easily by going to the NHS Organ Donation website here  

Over 34,000 joined the register during Organ Donation Week in 2017 as a direct result of people talking openly about it, taking action and making their wishes known to their families. It is hoped that something similar will happen again this week. I have been on the Organ Donation and the Bone Marrow Transplant registers for about 40 years. And yesterday, having heard an item on the news, I again had a conversation with my new partner to make sure that he is aware of my wishes. It's a long time since I originally registered so, just to be absolutely sure, I re-registered yesterday. I also let both of my sons know, asking them to be sure to say 'yes!' if they are ever asked about donating my organs! They have grown up knowing this is my wish, that I want to make a difference in this way, if I can, when my time comes but I thought it would be good to remind them of that. I hope that very many more people will do the same.


Register here.






No comments:

Post a Comment