Monday 17 September 2018

Oldies on holiday in Wales.

Every two years, in early September, two of my three brothers, their wives, my partner and me plus two Dads, one a fit 85 and the other a spritely 90, all go away together. For those who still work it's a time for rest and relaxation, for others it's an opportunity to potter about, exploring new surroundings and enjoying creams teas! And for the more energetic amongst us (me and my fella) its another chance to hike up some new peaks and enjoy new views from the top! 

Even though we all do our own thing, for all of us it's a precious opportunity to spend time together, sharing meals and news, doing crosswords and puzzles and going together on outings to places of interest. And this year we spent a lovely week sharing a house in Abersoch, North Wales which was roughly equidistant from our homes in Staffordshire, Lancashire and Yorkshire. (Yes, the red and white roses do get along - we'd better 'cos that's me and my fella!)

So, I thought I'd share some holiday snaps with you............

Firstly, my partner and I stopped en route at Bodnant Gardens, owned by the National Trust of which we're both members. The weather was kind, if a bit chilly, and the gardens are still really beautiful at this time of year.














Lots of opportunities to take pics of flowers that I love...... 
The rose garden in front of the house was spectacular. 

There were hydrangeas of every colour everywhere! 
And then I finally found what I've been looking for in various places all summer - water lilies in flower! They're a real favourite of mine and I was delighted to come across both white and pink flowering here. 

Wonderful! And we hadn't even arrived at our destination yet! 

Next to be captured on camera were the views from our first coastal walk from Aberdarron..... a lovely little place, there on the left
And as I was admiring this view......
my partner announced that we were going to hike up and down these two peaks in the background! 
Fortunately I got distracted at that point by these......


But he didn't forget and a few days later we did climb both of them, quite easily to my pleasant surprise. Only 1800ft up and six miles round trip..... a bit of a rocky scramble at the top but, as always, the views were so worth it! 

And then, mid-week, we were rewarded with a beautiful sunny day which we spent all together at Portmeirion, a quirky Italian-styled village built on a hillside next to the estuary and made famous by the 1960s cult series The Prisoner which was filmed there. 
If you've never been, it's a must-visit with its beautiful scenery 
And quirky buildings........ 



..... which people actually live in! Not sure I could cope with all the tourists! 

We ended our lovely day there with a cream tea in the hotel beside the estuary, delicious cakes and scones all served on exquisite Portmeirion bone china. Lovely! 

View Recent Posts Here


No comments:

Post a Comment